In Case of Emergency
The U.S. Embassy is open from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, except when closed for an official holiday. If you are a U.S. citizen in an emergency situation during work hours, please call (670) 332-4684 and ask for the Consular Section. After hours, please call our hotline at: (670) 7723-1328. For Non-Emergency Issues please see our General Information Section.
Internal tensions and their uncertain impact on security in Timor-Leste as well as the potential for a natural disaster should prompt all Americans here to review their security profiles and begin prudent planning for various contingencies that may arise in weeks ahead. To be prepared for every eventuality, the Embassy recommends that all Americans in Timor-Leste take a number of steps, including:
- Make a list of items to pack in case of a sudden need to depart Timor-Leste, including for carry-on baggage.
- Update household effects inventory of items.
- Consolidate all personal records, financial documents, school records, etc.
- Keep cell phones charged and on, and maintain a supply of charged extra batteries;
- Prepare your house for the possibility of sudden departure, by preparing for the management of domestic staff, pets, maintenance, and securing non-transportable valuables.
- Keep two weeks' worth of necessary provisions in the house. This is in case of frequent and severe civil disturbances that require Americans to remain in the house for any sustained period of time.
For the contingency that emergency departure from Timor-Leste should become necessary, the Embassy recommends that U.S. citizens resident in Timor-Leste apply online for an Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) for entry into Australia regardless of whether they currently have plans to travel. A valid ETA is required by the Australian immigration authorities for entry into the country, and must be obtained before arrival in Darwin or any other Australian port of entry. To apply for the ETA, please consult the Australian Department of Immigration and Citizenship website at http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/tourist/976/. In addition to a valid ETA for entry into Australia, please be sure to have all the following documents ready for you and your family in case of emergency departure:
- Power of Attorney (can normally be obtained through Consular Section);
- Shot Records, Medical and Dental Records, Medical Insurance Card/Policy Information, Medical Clearances, Prescriptions and Medications as necessary;
- Driver's license, Automobile Insurance Policy Information;
- Duplicate Address Book;
- Financial Papers: Travelers Checks, Check Book, Bank Statements, Credit Cards, Tax Records, Keys to safe Deposit Box;
- Household Goods Inventory;
- Birth Certificates, Marriage Certificates, Divorce Decrees;
- Naturalization Certificates, Citizenship Papers;
- Spouses' Employment Papers: Resumes, SF-171, Personnel Actions;
- School Records, Transcripts, Test Scores and Recommendations;
- Appropriate clothing for seasonal changes.